Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hot & Sour Soup


I've had my eye on this Easy Hot and Sour Soup posted over at Haus Food.  I passed the recipe off to a co-worker a while back and she was nice enough to share what she made.  It was GREAT!  I was amazed by how balanced the flavors were.  Most Hot & Sour soups I've tried are either all hot or all sour and not really my thing.  This soup was perfect, just the right balance of zingy tastes.

Last week I finally got the chance to make it myself. I made a few slight alterations and was still very pleased with the taste.  If you are like me and ever get a craving for Asian inspired soups, this is a recipe to keep near by!

Hot and Sour Soup
Adapted from Haus Food

2-3 large portabello mushrooms cut into pieces
2 cans bamboo shoots, sliced into matchsticks
1 can water chestnuts, sliced into pieces
1 large chicken breast cut into thin strips
1 cup (+/-) tofu, cut into small squares (optional)
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups beef stock
6 Tbl soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp (+/-) Hot Chili Sauce, like Sriracha
4 Tbl cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 carrot, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbl sesame oil
3 Scallions, minced

Pour chicken stock, beef stock and soy sauce into a large pot with the salt. Bring to a boil. When it reaches a boil add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and chicken.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add in pepper, vinegar, chili sauce, Tofu and carrots. Turn the heat to high and bring back up to a boil. Whisk together the cornstarch wit 4 Tbl of cold water and add to boiling pot and stir well until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the lightly beaten egg. Stir gently until it is incorporated. Stir in sesame oil and scallions. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment